Friday, August 19, 2011

24th of July

We always go to the cabin for the 24th of July for the annual horseshoe tournament.  I dare say this year was the best so far.  It's no longer a bunch of crazy people partying it up and getting out of control.  It's turned more to a family affair and I'm all in.  I loved it.  Eden loved it too.  She had all sorts of friends to play with and she was all smiles all weekend long.

We started the weekend off enjoying the Kamas parade.  Dennis drove us down in his old car.  I thought I was going to die before we made it the 3 miles into town.  That car was a shakin', there were no seatbelt, and Eden was on my lap in the front seat...super safe!  But we made it and Eden & Bronson yelled "WEEE" the whole ride.
we enjoyed a savory treat while we waited for the parade to start
Then the kids proceeded to honk the horn at every fire engine, cop car or horse that walked the parade.

Saturday morning we had our children's parade down the lane.  We decked ourselves out in our 24th of July attire and strutted our stuff and waved with the pose and skill of a beauty queen.
  After the parade it was time to kick off the horseshoe tournament.  I do not play horseshoes.  I am not coordinated in that way and so I opt to watch.  Despite all the begging and convincing to play, I firmly stand by my conviction of sitting it out...plus I always bring my proxy (a.k.a. Tracy) and so there is no convincing this little lady.  I am a happy spectator. 
Plus, if I had to play, who would be in charge of watching everyone's kids and getting their games off without a hitch?  Eden loved the games this year.  She was very much into it.  Each of the mom's had a game for the kids to play while the men threw those shoes.

The ever famous Sawdust Hunt...and what's a party without a pinata.
Pretty much the weekend was awesome.  We stayed up late, played hard and were surrounded by a great group of people.  Unfortunately, Les and Tracy didn't place this year in the tournament.  Tracy took 4th and tore it up around the campfire at night.  Les was out early but kept thing organized.

I look forward to this event every year and it never disappoints.  I mean it's a reason to throw a party and we all know how I feel about those.  Happy Birthday Utah!

No comments: