As you all know Eden's big day is just around the bend and I've been on project duty at my house! I am in the process of transitioning Eden's room from a nursery to a big girl room. Her room isn't very big and so I was trying to figure out ways to maximize my space. I was looking online at Project Nursery (my favorite decorating site) and I came upon the book sling...LOVE IT.
Wanna know how to make yourself one of these sweet book slings? Okay...I'll tell ya.
I went to Hobby Lobby and using my 40% off coupon. I bought myself 2 1/2 yrds of this awesome fabric.
Step 1: I cut the fabric in half, folded each half length wise (giving me a fabric that is approx. 42" X 45"). I then put right-sides together and I sewed a 1/4" seam around the whole thing EXCEPT on one of the short ends I left I gap so I could turn the fabric inside out.
Step 2: I turned the fabric inside out and then did a 1/4" top stick around the whole piece of fabric.
Step 3: I then took the long edge and I folded it down ~2" and sewed along the edge creating a tunnel down the length of the fabric on each side (these tunnels are for the dowels)
Step 4: I went to Home Depot and bought 4 double rod curtain brackets (they are like $2.50 each) and four 4 feet (48") wooden dowels that fit inside the curtain brackets.
Step 5: I spray painted the dowels so they would look better and slid them into the "tunnels" on the fabric
Step 6: I had my lovely husband hang the brackets on the wall. I spaced them just a little less than 4 ft. apart. It might be best to find the studs in the wall (most studs are 2 ft apart) but since there is waynes coat on Eden's wall I didn't worry about it.
Step 7: Hang the book slings and fill it with books!
So easy and so cute! Love, Love, LOVE them. It really saves me a lot of space AND they weren't that expensive to make. I have planes to sew some letters on the top shelf that says "Read" but I have yet to get to that. If my directions were a little confusing, go to Penny Carnival. They have a great tutorial.
Eden loves her new book sling and was SUPER excited to fill it with books!
What other crafts are happening with the wall of my house....Oh you don't even know! Saturday my house will be full of little super heroes, arts & crafts and a super hero training course...all made by yours truly. Stay tuned for all the details to come!











No comments:
Post a Comment